Thursday, March 3, 2011

Crossing the Line

When do we cross the line between humility and self-deprecation? For example, which are you?

Someone: "[Insert name], you are so nice. Thanks for doing that for me!"
Insert Name: "Oh geez, no I'm not; it was nothing."
or,
Insert Name: "You are welcome. I hoped that would make you happy."

Now, who says that? Not any women I know. And it's a shame. I've been watching and listening and we ALWAYS say, "Oh geez... "self deprecate comment"...  that denies what was really in our heart. But we don't really see it as insulting ourselves. We are really thinking that denial of a good deed is a form of humility. NOT SO MUCH! Own up! Take responsibility for what you say!

My friend has given up the word, "Mine." That inspires me to give up something too, so for 40 days I'm not saying: "No, I'm not..."

No comments: