Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Need Your Help

So, I've been double-timing my work computer as a home computer and have only lost all my photos once, It was painful and I'm barely getting over it even though I had never printed the full library. But it WAS a full library of photos from the early 2000's and perhaps some day when the world is reminiscing over me, they'll want all those lost pictures. I couldn't leave the world unsatisfied, could I?

So, today as I was using my work laptop to print a coupon for Eggo's IT CRASHED! Oh God, my best-place-to-work-in-Utah employer will die when I tell them I melted my computer, AGAIN! I rebooted. I rebooted, I rebooted until I was near tears and it just wouldn't come back.

My darling, irresistible, but computer-illiterate J.D. offered up his advice to take the battery out and leave it for 15 minutes. Whatever!

Ok, what the hell. I did, then walked away so I wasn't lingering over the boiling pot. Then went shopping.

2 hours later, I replaced the battery and rebooted. IT WORKS! God love you J.D.

So, I'm evaluating my dependency on my employer to make their computer work for work and home. How many pictures can I expect them to recover? And how many times do I need to have the last person I've sent my never-to-be-published book back to me because I fried the last version I had?

So, here's where your help will help. What kind of computer do you have and do you LOVE it? Because if you don't love it, I don't want to take the chance of buying it. But still tell me if you hate it so I don't buy that one.

And, if you own a Mac and love it, you can tell me, but I can't afford a Mac unless you can convince me that I can't afford NOT to have a Mac, Amy and Eileen. Because by my calculations, I can buy about 2.5 PCs for the cost of one Mac. Please try to convince me.

Really, I need to buy one in the next couple days so add a comment or call me or email me.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Number of times we have to do virus crapola anything on the Mac - zero
Seconds it takes to turn on and use the Mac - 20. If it's ALL the way off.
5 seconds if it's asleep.
No box, no harddrive: Keyboard, screen, mouse. The end.

Stacy Q said...

Windows Vista drove Hubby into the arms of a Mac. He'll never go back. Frustration drove my dad to Mac, he went back to PC this year because EVERY PROGRAM he was running on the Mac was PC program, slowed down by being run on a Mac system. Hubby wants me to go Mac, because I have lots of photos and videos. But we can't afford it either, so last time my computer blew up I adopted Hubby's old Vista PC. But you already know all this if you've read past blogs of mine. ;-)
Right now I have Hubby's old Lenovo, and it's just fine. DON'T buy a Toshiba, they're really hard to fix- nasty support. My support guy (when Hubby's out of town) likes HPs.

Orli said...

Tried posting a few days back from my phone but it didn't take. Once you go Mac, you will never go back. It took me some time to figure the Mac out, and I had to find some different software in a few cases, but if you're looking to use it for photos, publishing, etc., the Mac is where it's at. And I agree with Amy: no virus issues, very fast to power on and off, and generally more responsive. I only work on a PC when forced to, and I'm not happy about it.

I was in an Apple store in California last week and they had new iMacs out (desktop variety, not laptops). They also had, in fine print, the fact that the old iMacs were still in stock and available. I can only assume the "old" iMacs are discounted, so perhaps this is an option for you?